March Chemical Pumps For Sodium Hydroxide
Seeking a pump for the chemical Sodium Hydroxide, March Pumps has many choices! From 5 GPM to 200 GPM, March Pumps has a pump for Sodium Hydroxide for the application. If pumping the chemical Sodium Hydroxide at room temperature, it is recommended to go with a centrifugal sealless magnetic drive chemical pump made up of Ryton and/or Polypropylene Plastic, Encapsulated Impeller, Teflon O-Ring, and either a Carbon or Ryton/Teflon/Carbon combination Bushing.
Choosing a Sodium Hydroxide Industrial Pump
Sodium Hydroxide, commonly known as lye or caustic soda, is an inorganic compound with a strong metallic base. Caustic soda is available in a number of forms including granules, pellets, flakes, and solutions prepared with different concentrations. The chemical Sodium Hydroxide can also be heavy depending on the concentration and temperature. If the specific gravity is more than 1.1, a trimmed impeller is absolutely necessary to prevent decoupling or overloading the motor.
Higher concentrations and higher temperatures of the chemical Sodium Hydroxide, together or by themselves, may make the pumps listed above unsuitable. It is highly recommended, regardless of the temperature or concentration, that you contact a local distributor or March Manufacturing direct to review your application before ordering a pump. Sodium Hydroxide is widely used in a colorful spectrum of industrial and chemical processes and as of 2004, had a worldwide demand of over 51 million tonnes.
The following chemical pumps are a good place to start looking when pumping the chemical Sodium Hydroxide:
|Max Flow||18 GPM||60.5 LPM|
|Max Head||29 FT||6.3 M|
|Max Flow||30 GPM||102 LPM|
|Max Head||41 FT||9 M|
|Max Flow||38 GPM||113.5 LPM|
|Max Head||49 FT||11 M|
|Max Flow||53 GPM||180 LPM|
|Max Head||60 FT||12.3 M|
|Max Flow||82 GPM||268 LPM|
|Max Head||85 FT||18 M|
|Max Flow||120 GPM||400 LPM|
|Max Head||95 FT||20 M|
|Max Flow||3.3 GPM||11.3 LPM|
|Max Head||40 FT||8.8 M|
Listing of March Pump Sodium Hydroxide Distributors
Chemical Pumps for Sodium Hydroxide
Sodium hydroxide, chemically written as NaOH, is a chemical used in the manufacturing of myriad products and across industries. Sodium hydroxide can be used to develop cleaning solutions and in material development.
Sodium hydroxide is toxic, and like many other chemicals it must be handled cautiously. It can be dangerous if it comes into contact with unprotected skin, for example.
March Pump offers extensive pumps for sodium hydroxide and has a team of experts that can help clients find the perfect pump for their precise challenges in business and industry alike. March Pumps built to accommodate sodium hydroxide include the TE-6T-MD in addition to the TE-7.5P-MD and the 320-CP-MD, among many others. Each one of these pumps offer different specifications and a variety of maximum flow rates and maximum heads.
Considering the complexity of sodium hydroxide and the wide-range of industries to which it is applied, March Pump encourages clients to leverage the knowledge of their team of experts before placing an order. Handling such chemicals within specific business and industrial context requires particular chemical pumps, and March Pumps’ experts can help guide clients toward the perfect pump for a given situation and application.
Disclaimer: These are only some of the pumps that can handle these chemicals.
What industries and applications handle Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic)?
Sodium Hydroxide is widely used as a strong base to dissolve in water and combine with an acid to create a salt. It has many use cases for PH regulation and the manufacturing process of different sodium salts.
In broader terms, it is used in many scenarios where the goal is to increase the alkalinity of a combination to neutralize an acid.
Some of the specific use cases of Sodium Hydroxide include:
- Paper industry: One of the key steps in the process of creating paper out of wood is chemical pulping. This step, and other steps involved in the process of making paper require strong alkaline environments of above 10.5 PH.
- Food industry: The food industry widely uses Sodium Hydroxide for chemical peeling or washing of vegetables and fruits. Cocoa beans are also processed with caustic soda. Some methods for softening olives also involve sodium hydroxide.
- Cleaning agent: Sodium Hydroxide can easily remove fats, oils, grease and protein based compounds and therefore, is used widely as an industrial cleaning agent where it is commonly known as “caustic”. One of the typical methods of using sodium hydroxide is to heat it as a solution and then spray it with high pressure. Sodium hydroxide in the form of a thick liquid gel or dry crystal is also used in homes as a drain opener.
- PH correction and bleaching – Sodium hydroxide or caustic soda is vital in the production of paper pulp, textiles, and detergents, where it is used for pH correction, as bleach, and for wastewater treatment.
- Heavy industries and utilities – Caustic soda is essential in the processing of metals and glass products where it is used for etching and surface finishing. It is used as a “scrubbing” agent in power stations that use coal to remove acid gases like hydrochloric acid and sulfur dioxide.
Pumping Considerations for Sodium Hydroxide
Caustic soda is a highly corrosive chemical that reacts with aluminum and carbon steel, and is capable of damaging viton and fluorocarbon. When considering a sodium hydroxide chemical pump, the following should come to mind:
- Contained handling – To avoid workforce exposure to sodium hydroxide pump leakages or chemical spills, contained handling is highly advised.
- Dosing – In processes such as water and sewage treatment, dosing plays an important role in protecting your pump from the corrosive action of caustic soda.
- Using pumps made of protective material – PP pump head and the full PTFE membrane are highly durable and make sure that the dosing pump can properly do its job and do so for a long time.
What are the properties of Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic) that will affect what pump and material you purchase?
Figure 1: Sodium Hydroxide Concentrations and Pump Materials
A single or collection of material/s may be rated for a higher temperature/s then the pump as a whole is capable of. It is important to contact a March representative to determine if the pump as a complete unit is suitable for the concentration and temperature of any chemical.
Caustic soda is a highly corrosive compound and is extremely reactive with some metals and alloys including aluminum and carbon steel.
Leak-free pumping is a particular concern when dealing with high concentration sodium hydroxide solutions. Caustic soda leaks not only cause severe injuries to personnel but can also damage the best equipment. To avoid that, a pump without mechanical seals, such as a mag drive model, is recommended.
What materials can best handle Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic)?
In normal cases where the concentration of sodium hydroxide is not very high most metals as well as polypropylene, PTFE, PVDF and EPDM can be used. In cases where caustic soda with very high concentrations are involved special synthetic materials and special alloys are required.
Finding the right Sodium Hydroxide Chemical Pump
There are many parameters which should be taken into account when choosing the suitable pump for a particular use case. These parameters include but are not limited to compound concentration, working temperatures, gravity of the chemical, and the materials used in the pump itself. Here at March Pump, we exhibit a wide range of chemical industrial pumps that cover virtually any possible requirement.
For further information we encourage you to contact our friendly support team and our experts will be happy to help. Please give us a call or contact us online.
Why March Pumps are the Best Pumps to Transfer Sodium Hydroxide
At March Pumps we stock sodium hydroxide chemical pumps that can withstand the difficult conditions that reactive chemicals like sodium hydroxide subject them to. Our USA made centrifugal sealless magnetic drive pumps incorporate ryton and polypropylene plastic materials that guarantee the quality performance and durability of your sodium hydroxide pump. Get in touch to learn more.
March Manufacturing Inc. Warranty and Warranty Registration